Events

Published on January 26th, 2023 | by University Communications

Take 15 minutes, join the Great Backyard Bird Count, February 17-20

The university community is invited to participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count, being held February 17-20. Sponsored by the University Senate Collaborative Community committee, this popular global event is a fun and easy way to participate as a Saint Leo community in a project that will benefit the world. Connect to birds, to nature, and with each other. 

Why participate?

You can help scientists better understand and protect birds around the world. Birds are everywhere and are an important part of our ecosystem. Scientists need help tracking bird migration patterns. Changes in bird migration patterns may affect other parts of our ecosystem and signal bird populations that are in distress or thriving.

How to participate:

• Birdwatch for 15 minutes: Choose a day between Friday, February 17, and Monday, February 20. On that day, find a favorite spot and watch birds for at least 15 minutes.
  • Identify and count birds: Identify and count, to the best of your ability, all the bird species you see or hear within your planned time and location. If you are a beginner and new to bird identification, try using the Merlin Bird ID app or the Audobon Bird Guide.
  • Submit an online form: Fill out the SAINT LEO BIRD COUNT REPORT FORM linked here and report your location, day, time, bird species, and count for each species. Please complete this form for Saint Leo University so we can report our data together. Fill out the form for each day and time that you watched and counted birds. For example, you might fill out the form for 15 minutes on February 17, in the morning and for 15 minutes on February 18, in the afternoon.
  • Tips:
    • What if I don’t have a backyard? You can watch from your office window, a neighborhood park, an apartment window, or anywhere that you can watch for at least 15 minutes. Consider watching near a feeder or birdbath.
    • Can I count birds with friends or family? Yes, please gather together and help each other. You may need to quietly watch for the birds to visit. You can fill out one form for a couple or group of friends. Share your love for birds with your children or grandchildren.
    • Do I have to use binoculars? No, but it can add to the excitement and help you zoom in on bird colors and features. Plus, you will look like a real birdwatcher!
    • What if I don’t know a lot about birds? Listening to bird sounds ahead of time can help you identify birds. Go to the LibGuide for more resources to help you.

Let’s work together for the love of birds!

More Questions? Contact Christine Woods, christine.woods@saintleo.edu.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑