Published on October 17th, 2019 | by University Communications0
Community invited to Disability Awareness Week activities
Disability Awareness Week is a celebration of the culture and contributions of individuals with disabilities as well as an opportunity to raise awareness of pressing issues related to disability rights. Accessibility Services, Student Activities, and the Multicultural and International Services Office would like to invite all students, faculty, and staff to join in the celebration. The following events will be held on the University Campus. Information is being sent to each of our Centers for those who wish to host similar activities at their locations. Schedule of Events
Monday, October 21:
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., American Sign Language and Deaf Culture, Student Community Center, Greenfelder-Denlinger Boardrooms and Loggia
Tuesday, October 22:
- 2:30 – 4 p.m., Beep Baseball, The Bowl
- 1 – 4 p.m., Pippi’s Art, Students Activities Building Loggias
Wednesday, October 23:
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Challenge Experience & Resource Fair: Student Community Center, Greenfelder-Denlinger Boardrooms and Loggia
- 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Eat This Not That, Dining Hall
Thursday, October 24:
- 7 -8 p.m., Anthony Robles: NCAA championship wrestler (guest speaker), Marion Bowman Activities Center, Livestream link.
Friday, October 25:
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Contributions of Individuals with Disabilities, Dining Hall lobby
Our keynote event is the Thursday session, featuring NCAA National Champion, Anthony Robles, who will share his journey to becoming a champion wrestler at Arizona State University after being born with one leg. Following the event, Anthony will stay for a meet and greet with students. Copies of his book Unstoppable: From Underdog to Undefeated: How I Became a Champion will be given out as prizes throughout the week. Students who are not able to attend the event in person can attend via livestream. If you have any questions or require accommodations to attend any of these events, please contact the Office of Accessibility Services at email@example.com.
The views expressed during the event are those of the presenters and do not necessarily represent the views of the university.