Published on May 15th, 2020 | by University Communications0
ROTC cadets commissioned as U.S. Army 2nd lieutenants
Saint Leo’s ROTC cadets experienced a different type of commissioning ceremony this year because of the coronavirus pandemic. On May 8, eight students were commissioned as 2nd lieutenants in the U.S. Army via online ceremonies on the Zoom video conferencing platform.
Cadets receive bachelor’s degrees and complete U.S. Army ROTC requirements through Saint Leo and the Suncoast Battalion, which includes the University of South Florida. They generally receive postings starting immediately after graduation.
Scott Mann, retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel and a Green Beret, addressed the cadets from Saint Leo and USF. Commissioned in 1991 at the University of Central Arkansas, Mann said he was disappointed in his branch (assignment) as he had wanted to be a Green Beret since he was 14. He said the assignment he received would not lead to serving in the U.S. Army Special Forces. As he received his first salute, his mentor said to him, “’Hey, LT (lieutenant), you need to pick that head up. You’re about to lead Army soldiers. It’s the greatest honor you will ever get as a leader. And what are you going to do with it?’” Mann said. “I never forgot that.”
Mann went on to become a Green Beret, and said he wore that hat for 18 years until he retired to Florida.
“I want you to process what you are going to do with this commission,” he said. “You are going to have to bring order to the chaos.”
The cadets took their oath of office, had their gold bars pinned to their uniform by family members, and received their first salute during the ceremony.
Saint Leo students who were commissioned as 2nd lieutenants and their majors and career branch assignments are:
- Gilbert Anguiano, management major, active duty, Engineer;
- Brock Buchanan, economics major, active duty, Ordnance;
- Dakota DeSantis, criminal justice major, active duty, Adjutant General;
- Maxwell Kresek, criminal justice major; active duty, Ordnance;
- Tyler Lewis, criminal justice: criminalistics major, Army Reserve, Adjutant General;
- Alexander Mormant, criminal justice major, active duty, Military Intelligence;
- Jeremy Moser, criminal justice major, active duty Adjutant General; and,
- Paige Swanson, political science major, active duty, Military Intelligence.
Congratulations to the new officers!