Published on March 21st, 2016 | by University Communications0
Athletics – Week of March 21
Registration underway for Spirit of Saint Leo
Registration is now underway for the 15th annual Spirit of Saint Leo Golf Tournament, which will take place Monday, April 11, at the Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club South Course. This four-person scramble brings together alumni, former teammates, and friends of Saint Leo Athletics to support the nearly 350 student-athletes who wear the Green and Gold. There is also the option to attend the dinner and auction events that evening at the Lake Jovita clubhouse. Read the complete release. Register Online!
Lions among Top Ten in all of Division II, in last week’s Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup standings
Saint Leo athletics picked up points for their results in the NCAA Division II men’s and women’s swimming championships, and placed ninth in the most recent standings update for the 2015-16 NCAA Division II Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup. Read the complete release.
Saint Leo softball gets the media spotlight
Saint Leo softball, off to a scorching start (26-1, 11-1 SSC) to the 2016 season after a strong, but disappointing, end to its 2015 campaign, has started to attract some media attention for its achievements on the diamond.
– Tampa Bay Times – 3/18/2016 – “Saint Leo softball team relentless in drive for trip to national championship”
– NCAA.com – 3/18/2016 – “College softball: Saint Leo making its mark in Division II”
Dewberry named to MBB All-South Region team
Saint Leo junior guard Marcus Dewberry earned a nod on the Division II Collegiate Commissioners Association (D2CCA) All-South Region team, when it was announced on Monday. Read the complete release.
Saint Leo reaps national, conference Player of the Week awards
Multiple Saint Leo student-athletes garnered a slew of Player of the Week awards last week, following a week of extraordinary results for the Lions.
- Isabella Robbiani captured Sunshine State Conference Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week honors, after going undefeated individually while the Lions won two matches.
- Alberto Barroso-Campos went 8-0 over four matches, taking SSC Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week honors.
- Jake Gilmour notched 14 combined points over two games, capturing the SSC Men’s Lacrosse Offensive Player of the Week accolade.
- First baseman Troy Sieber was tabbed as SSC Baseball Player of the Week, after batting .737 with a 1.474 slugging percentage over five games, including a three-game series against No. 1 Tampa.
- Sieber was rewarded with National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Division II National Hitter of the Week honors on Thursday, in recognition of his achievements the previous week and his SSC Player of the Week award. He is just the second player in program history to earn the NCBWA Division II Hitter of the Week award.
- Gilmour followed up by taking USILA/Lids Team Sports Division II National Offensive Player of the Week honors, based on his performance the previous week.
Up, up, and away… for the Lions in national/regional polls!
Six of Saint Leo’s eight spring teams are currently in the national rankings, and several received poll updates last week.
– Softball climbed to No. 9 in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) rankings.
– Men’s lacrosse jumped to No. 18 on the U.S. Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA)/Nike Coaches Poll.
– Men’s tennis moved into the No. 1 position in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s (ITA) South Region rankings, and remain in the No. 7 spot in the most recent national poll released on February 24.
– Women’s tennis dropped one spot and checked in at No. 2 in this week’s ITA South Region rankings, trailing only SSC rival Barry University. The Lions are currently No. 3 in the ITA national poll released on February 24.
Women’s soccer, women’s basketball announce camp dates
Saint Leo women’s basketball and women’s soccer each announced their upcoming camp dates.
– Upcoming women’s basketball camp dates.
– Upcoming women’s soccer camp dates.