Events

Published on March 17th, 2023 | by University Communications

Saint Leo welcomes River Ridge High’s New Teacher Academy to campus

One of the innovative ways that Saint Leo’s Undergraduate Education Program recruits students as well as helps high school students in the community is through the New Teacher Academies in the Pasco County Schools. “Developing future teachers while serving the community provides a powerful platform upon which to build the next generation of Pasco County teachers,” the Pasco County School District website states.

On February 27, 50 students from the River Ridge High School New Teacher Academy in New Port Richey, FL, visited Saint Leo University. While on campus they heard from Dr. Ben Forche, chief officer for Student Success and Academic Engagement, and Dr. Michael Bailey, director of Career Services and Accessibility, about how we support students at Saint Leo University. Carla Alston, Student Financial Services advisor, also presented information on the financial aid process. 

The River Ridge High School students also got a view of some of Saint Leo’s innovative classrooms as Dr. Vyas Krishnan, associate dean of the School of Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics & Data Science (CARDS) provided them with an engaging presentation on cybersecurity and robotics, and showcased the university’s Robotics and AI Lab in Kirk Hall.   Dr. Valerie Wright, professor of education; Kate Wittrock, instructor of education; and Dr. Holly Atkins, professor and chair of undergraduate education, gave students a tour of our 21st Century and simulation education classrooms. 

“I cannot begin to thank all of you enough for providing such an amazing day for my students,” said Beth Hess, lead teacher for River Ridge’s New Teacher Academy. “I believe one of my students said it best when she said in the presence of many peers, ‘Mrs. Hess, I believe some college decisions were made today!’ Each of you is instrumental in opening the doors for these students. They sang the entire trip home, which confirms how very much they loved their day.”

View photos from the River Ridge New Teacher Academy’s visit to University Campus:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑