Published on April 10th, 2020 | by University Communications0
Saint Leo touched by coronavirus, postpones commencement ceremonies
During the peak of the coronavirus pandemic in our nation, the Saint Leo University community is feeling the gravity of its impact. This week, the university learned that several members of our community off-campus have been confirmed with the coronavirus: students in our online undergraduate and graduate programs; alumni living across the nation; and family members of students, faculty, and staff.
This saddening news calls for us to rally together and offer our thoughts, prayers, and compassion for those touched by the virus. The strength of our university community has never been more important.
The ongoing effects of the coronavirus has also required the university to make additional operational changes after evaluating recent federal and state guidance. This week, Saint Leo University made the decision to postpone all scheduled commencement ceremonies and activities until later this year.
The decision to postpone commencement was made out of an abundance of caution for all those who will be participating or might need to travel to attend. Health authorities are uncertain of when large-scale social gatherings can safely resume.
This means that the following planned ceremonies will be rescheduled for a date later in 2020:
- Key West Commencement, originally scheduled for April 18
- Florida Commencement, originally rescheduled for June 1
- San Diego Commencement, originally scheduled for May 8
- Virginia Commencement, originally scheduled for May 16
- Corpus Christi Commencement, originally scheduled for May 22
- South Carolina Commencement, originally scheduled for May 29
- Savannah Commencement, originally scheduled for June 6
- Atlanta Commencement, originally scheduled for June 20
As soon as plans are finalized, students will be notified of the new date by email and mail. Information also will be posted on the Saint Leo website at saintleo.edu/commencement. Saint Leo University will continue to provide updates about the coronavirus via the website, so be sure to check back periodically for additional information.