HR

Published on June 1st, 2021 | by University Communications

HR conducts employment eligibility self-audit

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), employers are required to hire individuals who may legally work in the United States. To comply with the law, employers must verify the identity and employment authorization of every person they hire and complete and retain a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, for each employee.

In an effort to follow best business practices and make a good faith effort to stay in federal compliance, Human Resources has initiated a self-audit to ensure it has Employment Eligibility Verification Forms (form I-9) on file for each employee.

The self-audit process will include three steps, and employees may be contacted by Human Resources, as it conducts the audit. The steps in this process will include:

1. Collection of all current Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9s: The Office of Human Resources will compare all I-9 forms within its possession and to a current employee roster.
  2. Communication with Employees: The Office of Human Resources will contact individuals who may have a missing I-9 form or who may need to assist in making corrections.
  3. Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 Corrections: Employees and the Office of Human Resources will work together to make corrections to bring our institution to compliance.

It is important to note that Saint Leo is required to examine documentation to ensure employment eligibility, according to the USCIS. The USCIS publishes acceptable forms of documentation, which can be found on its website. The Office of Human Resources cannot dictate which of these documents are presented, as long as the documentation is in accordance with this guidance.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑