Published on May 22nd, 2017 | by University Communications0
Athletics — Week of May 22
Coors wins individual national championship at NCAA D-II Women’s Golf Championship
Senior Marie Coors capped her storied collegiate career by capturing the individual national championship at the 2017 NCAA Division II Women’s Golf Championship, which concluded Saturday in Findlay, OH. The title is Saint Leo’s third NCAA national championship, and the first of any kind, team or individual, in women’s athletics. Read the complete release
– Coors receives NCAA Elite 90 Award for Division II women’s golf as the championship participant with the highest overall GPA. Read the complete release
Saint Leo wins 2016-2017 Sunshine State Conference Women’s Division Mayors’ Cup
Saint Leo University captured the 2016-2017 Sunshine State Conference Women’s Division Mayors’ Cup, representing overall supremacy in SSC women’s athletics – the first time in university history that the Lions have won the award. Read the complete release
All-South Region honors announced in softball, track, and baseball
Various All-South Region teams were unveiled last week, as the announcement of post-season honors for Spring teams continued.
– Stephanie Adkins, Kacie Kelly, and Rachael Heath from the Saint Leo softball team were named to the Division II Conference Commissioners Association (D2CCA) All-South Region team. Read the complete release
– Colett Rampf and Laura Tobin were tabbed for women’s track All-South Region honors by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). Read the complete release
– Seniors Rafal Matuszczak and Niclas Bez each earned a spot on the USTFCCCA men’s All-South Region team in outdoor track. Read the complete release
– Redshirt junior Dylan Harris earned All-South Region honors from the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) and D2CCA. Read the release on D2CCA All-South Region
Read the release on NCBWA All-South Region
Kelly named finalist for Schutt Sports/NFCA D-II Freshman of the Year
Softball freshman Kacie Kelly was named one of eight finalists for the Schutt Sports/National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Division II Freshman of the Year. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, May 24, in Salem, VA, in conjunction with the NCAA Division II Softball Championship. Read the complete release
Three named to All-SSC baseball team
Utility player Dylan Harris, outfielder Alex Mata, and third baseman Chase Turner were Saint Leo’s three representatives on the All-Sunshine State Conference baseball team, which was announced last Wednesday. Read the complete release
Harris earns final SSC Baseball Player of the Week honor for 2017
Saint Leo third baseman/utility player Dylan Harris was named the Sunshine State Conference Baseball Player of the Week in the final round of SSC weekly honors for 2016-2017, after batting .615 over three games against No. 23 Florida Southern, while leading the Lions to a pair of victories over the Mocs. Read the complete release
Gendron begins quest for title at NCAA D-II Men’s Golf Championship
Senior Ryan Gendron begins the first of three days of competition in pursuit of an individual national championship on Monday as play begins at the 2017 NCAA Division II Men’s Golf Championship at Reunion Resort in Kissimmee, FL. Read the complete release
Rampf qualifies for NCAA Division II Outdoor T&F Championship in two events
Junior Colett Rampf earned qualification for the 2017 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track and Field Championships in two events: the women’s 3000m steeplechase, and the women’s 5000m run. Competition at the NCAA outdoor meet begins on Thursday in Bradenton, FL, at the IMG Academy. Read the complete release
Graham steps down as Saint Leo head women’s lacrosse coach
Lesley Graham announced her resignation as Saint Leo head women’s lacrosse coach last week, in order to pursue other career interests. Read the complete release
Follow your Lions!
Follow your favorite Saint Leo teams on social media! Visit the Saint Leo Athletics’ social stream at www.SaintLeoLions.com, and be sure to follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SaintLeoLions, and on Twitter and Instagram at SaintLeoLions.
Be among the first to get Saint Leo Athletics scores and updates
Follow the Lions wherever you go! Sign up for score alerts from Saint Leo Athletics by text, by email, and through the Athletics app on your mobile device.
– Register online today to receive email alerts on Saint Leo news and scores!
– Sign up for eScores alerts on your cell phone – the quickest way to get Saint Leo scores!